You are here:

Making a Freedom of Information Request

You can make a request yourself, or you can authorise another person (for example, a solicitor) to make a request on your behalf. If you want someone to make a request on your behalf for your personal information, you must give them your written authorisation. 

Applications must:

  • Be in writing or lodged electronically via FOI Online.
  • Clearly describe the documents you are requesting access to.
  • Include the application fee or evidence that you qualify to have the application fee waived. Other costs may be incurred in granting access to the documents that you have requested. For more information see Costs.
  • Be made to the agency that holds the documents you are seeking.

Contact details of agencies are available on the website of the Victorian Information Commissioner

If the documents are about your personal affairs, you should provide evidence of your identity. For example, a photocopy or electronic copy of your current Drivers Licence. 

If you are unsure about what ID to provide, contact the relevant agency. If you want the fee to be waived, include evidence that payment of the fee would cause you financial hardship. For example, a photocopy or electronic copy of your current health care card.