You are here:
Freedom of Information
The Victorian Freedom of Information Act gives you the right to request documents held by:
- State government departments
- Local councils
- Most semi-government agencies and statutory authorities
- Public hospitals
- Universities, TAFE colleges and schools
The Act gives you:
- The right to access documents about your personal affairs and the activities of government agencies; and
- The right to request that incorrect or misleading information held by an agency about you be amended or removed.
The Act does not apply to privately owned businesses. This site contains information about Victorian government agencies only. Commonwealth Government agencies and each State and Territory have their own freedom of information laws.